Managing Dry Eye Disease
Dry eye can be attributed to multiple factors, but identifying the major causative factors will allow determination of an appropriate management plan. Therefore we recommend a Dry Eye Assessment to investigate your symptoms and understand your condition better. A Dry Eye Assessment will involve the following:
- A detailed discussion of your history and symptoms
- Biomicroscopic assessment of your eyelids and eyelashes, including photography
- Scan of your tear film to assess quality, break-up time and meniscus height
- Use of diagnostic dyes, such as fluorescein and lissamine green, to assess for any surface cell damage
- Upper and lower eyelid Meibomian gland scans, also known as infrared meibography, to visualise the architecture of your Meibomian glands and grade the degree of MGD
If you are among the many with have MGD-related dry eye disease, you could benefit from eye-light treatment.
What is eye-light treatment?
eye-light® relieves dry eye symptoms by using two synergistic technologies to stimulate Meibomian glands to resume the production of healthy lipids necessary for tear film stability.
It is the only instrument with 2 patented technologies which complement each other to achieve optimal results:-.
Optimal Power Energy® IPL is polychromatic intense pulsed light that is applied to skin in the periorbital and cheekbone area. The thermal pulses target the Meibomian glands and super-charge them, thus increasing the natural lipid flow and reducing the evaporation of tears. IPL is also known to reduce the inflammatory markers that negatively affect the function of Meibomian glands.
Light Modulation® LLLT is a light mask which applies photo-biomodulation technology that has been used for many years in various fields of medicine (e.g. dermatology, dentistry). The emission of light at a specific wavelength triggers an internal heating effect of the eyelids. This improves cellular activity and eases the spill of the tear film’s oily component from the Meibomian glands, hence stabilising the lipid layer and providing immediate relief. A useful benefit is that this treatment works on both the upper and lower eyelids.